How to Check Notifications
Creating a User Account
To begin contributing to a site, you need an account.
Account & Password Security
Upon creating an account, you are required to create a password.
This password must have at least 10 characters, and it should be secure and unique to you.
Resetting Your Password
If you forget your password, you have the option to reset it by clicking the Forgot? link on the login window.
Note: Users are locked out of their account for 60 minutes after 10 unsuccessful login attempts. If you find you are unable to log in and/or get logged out, email us at
Go to your profile to view and edit your information, add an avatar, and see your account activity, favorited guides, and notifications.
Viewing Your Profile
To access your user profile, click on your username in the site-header of the web page and click select View Profile from the drop-down menu.
You can access the following on your profile page:
- About - Tell other users about yourself! Below your autobiography, you’ll find lists the guides and pages you have created and contributed to during your time on the site. This section also includes your Favorited Guides.
- Activity - A comprehensive activity log of all of your site activities; including comments, page edits, answers posted, and more!
- Reputation - Each site activity earns you reputation points. Get a breakdown of your user reputation here.
- Notifications - Ranging from approval requests to mentions in page comments, your notifications keep you up to date on important 'goings-on' around the site.
- Order History - Here you can watch your orders be processed and shipped, review past orders, and easily buy the same items bought in the past again. Hopefully not because you dropped your cellphone again.
Reputation & Badges
From the "Reputation" tab, you can see a breakdown of how you've gained reputation over time and what badges you've collected, so far. Click on any of the badges you've earned to see what you've done to earn it!
Updating Your Profile & Password
In the top-right corner of your profile page, click Edit to update your user profile. You can add an image, create a summary, tell a new story, and include as many details as you want to share with other site users. You can also update your profile information to update your display name, email address, @username, or password.
iFixit has a few different types of users that help our community run smoothly. Even the average user can do quite a lot on the site and will gain new permissions over time. The other type of users you’ll see are Authors, Moderators, Students, and Admin. You can identify these types of users by badges on their profiles and each carry a certain level of expertise and permissions.
Standard users on iFixit can:
- View public content on a site.
- Post comments on guides, Answers forum posts, and blog articles.
- Suggest edits on guides and wikis.
- View and edit their own profile.
- Join and leave public (non-invite-only) user Teams.
- Ask and reply to questions on the Answers forum.
To see what permissions are granted and reputation, in general, head over to our Reputation wiki.
In addition to standard user privileges, Authors can:
- View public and private content.
- Create, edit, publish, and delete any site content.
- View page history.
- Create Teams.
- Use the Patrol moderation feature for public sites allowing community editing.
Moderators hold the role of moderating questions, answers, and comments on the Answers forum; they also nominate, approve, or reject (by majority votes) suggested edits by the community of users contributing to the site. This ensures that unwanted content that out spam filter happens to miss does not exist on the site for very long. And they’re very good at what they do. There’s more information about our Moderators in the Answers Category page.
As iFixit staff, we Admins have access to everything on the site. But don’t worry, we don’t let that go to our heads. Usually.